Naxal Resistance

This blog is a mirror site of http://indianvanguard.wordpress.com

  • Archives

  • Recent Posts

  • Categories

  • Blog Stats

    • 86,043 hits
  • Top Posts

Archive for April 7th, 2007

Villagers decided to stay away from the meeting of NSS

Posted by Indian Vanguard on April 7, 2007


Jamshedpur, April 6: The assassination of JMM MP Sunil Mahto has apparently resulted into loss of faith in police, especially for the villagers of Baguria, who have decided to stay away from the meeting of Nagarik Suraksha Samiti (NSS), an anti-Naxalite outfit of villagers, against Maoists on Sunday.


The decision was taken by the villagers at a meeting held here last night. “There were a few villagers willing to take part in the meeting. But after the rebels pasted posters in the village on Wednesday warning villagers of dire consequences, no one is willing to come out in open and oppose the Maoists,” said a villager.


President of NSS Shankar Chandra Hembram said some villagers were not willing to take part in the meet fearing the rebels. Hembram, however, pointed out that the meeting would have a huge turnout as those supporting the rebels are few in number.


Meanwhile, Maoists have given a bandh call in East Singhbhum on April 15 to protest against the meeting called by the NSS at Baguria on Sunday.

The Telegraph

Posted in Bihar, NEWS | Leave a Comment »

AP’s 10 SEZs on fast track-Hyderabad

Posted by Indian Vanguard on April 7, 2007

HYDERABAD: At least 10 Special Economic Zones (SEZs) from Andhra Pradesh are expected to figure in the 83 projects that the Centre’s Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM) cleared for notification at its meeting in New Delhi on Thursday.

These projects, for which land has been acquired but the notification kept on hold by the Centre due to the land acquisition controversy created by the Nandigram incidents in West Bengal, will take off full steam now, a state government official told TOI.

With the group of ministers (GoM) having cleared the 83 projects, the notifications are expected to be issued in a week’s time by the Union commerce ministry.

The major project which will get an impetus is the Brandix textile SEZ in Visakhapatnam. Having already employed about 500 people, the Brandix India Apparel City Private Limited with an area of 404.70 hectares, had been threatening to pull out unless the notification comes about soon so that construction work could begin.

Another major project that is expected to be cleared is the ONGC-promoted port-based multi-product SEZ in Kakinada.
Several IT SEZs from the state are to be notified following the central clearance on Thursday.

These include the 16.29 hectare Raheja IT/ITES SEZ in Madhapur (Ranga Reddy district), the 10.62 hectare DLF IT/ITES SEZ also in Ranga Reddy district, the 10 hectare AP Techno Projects Pvt Ltd IT/ITES SEZ in Hyderabad, the 10.52 hectare IT/ITES SEZ of Satyam Computer Services Ltd in Bahadurapalli, Hyderabad, another 12.14 hectare Satyam SEZ in Hyderabad, and three IT/ITES SEZs promoted by Maytas Properties Pvt Ltd in Qutbullapur, RR district (29.85 hectares); in Medchal mandal, RR district (14.16 hectares); and Serilingampally in RR district (15.92 hectares).

According to state government officials, the notification of these SEZs would give a great fillip to the industrial and IT growth of the state.

“Even before the notification, a major IT major has booked huge space in the Raheja SEZ. Similarly, construction is almost complete on one of the SEZ’s promoted by Satyam. Once the notification comes, there will be a boom in IT and industrial activity in the state,” an official said.

The Telegraph

Posted in Andra Pradesh, NEWS, SEZ | 1 Comment »

Six die in Maoist attack on Bokaro CISF camp

Posted by Indian Vanguard on April 7, 2007

DHANBAD: At least six people were reported to have been killed when an armed group of 300 Maoists on Friday night attacked the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) camp and the adjoining Gandhinagar police station building in Bokaro thermal power city area of the neighbouring Bokaro district.

The attack on the CISF camp took place around 8.30 in the night when only six jawans were on sentry duty. According to police, the Maoists exploded a series of bombs and also blew up the Pilpilo road bridge connecting the Central Coalfields Limited’s Khashmahal project with the main highway.

Reports said the six people were killed on the spot as the trucks and dumpers they were driving tossed up to 15 metres towards the sky under the impact of the explosions triggered by the Maoists.

Rocket launchers are said to have been used in the attack. The Maoists were advancing towards the Bokaro thermal power police station and were 200 metres away from the building when the reports last reached here.

Maintaining that the Maoists have been challenged by the CISF jawans, police sources in Bokaro denied receipt of reports of any casualty as the area was 40 km away from the district headquarters and the camp was located in a mining area.

The area is considered a Naxal stronghold. Last December, at least 15 policemen were killed in a landmine explosion triggered by Maoists at Kankiro near Bokaro. Koylanchal DIG Anurag Gupta said reinforcements led by Bokaro SP Priya Dubey have rushed to the spot.

According to CISF DIG Sunil Roy, around 30 CISF personnel were deployed at the camp.

Posted in Jharkhand, NEWS | Leave a Comment »